web analytics


18 Aug 2013

Hillspeed secured yet more silverware during the sixth race meeting of the 2013 BRDC Formula 4 Championship season at Silverstone Grand Prix Circuit over the weekend, 17th/18th August, with Seb Morris racing to third position in round 18.

Lining-up on the second row of the grid for the final race, the Welshman made third place his on the run to Copse and after pressuring the duo ahead he moved into second on lap three. Sizing up a pass for the lead soon after, the lightest of touches with Matty Graham led to a damaged front wing for Morris and resulted in a slip back to third where he managed to stay to the chequered flag.

Starting the first race, round 16, from seventh on the grid – after a bout of suspect food poisoning the night before – Morris made a typically strong start and leapt into fifth place on lap five before moving into fourth on the seventh tour.

Edging ever close to the podium, he closed to within just 2.5 seconds of the rostrum placings but post-race was given a disappointing time penalty for yellow flag infringements. Therefore, Morris fell to sixth on the amended classification.

While the Hillspeed team was frustrated with the judicial decision, it actually meant the Welsh racer would start round 17 from an improved third place on the ‘reverse grid’ and at the start he again got away well from the line.

In the thick of a tight multi-car battle, Morris was edged back to fourth and then demoted to fifth on Wellington Straight when forced wide off the track. Then, on lap four, he was elbowed back to ninth after contact from a rival but did manage to battle back into seventh before the finish.

Team-mate Struan Moore began the weekend by qualifying 14th fastest for round 16 but a lap one incident dropped him to the back of the field and called for a major recovery. Putting together a strong drive, the Hillspeed racer battled his way back into 11th position by the finish.

In round 17, Moore fought his way into the top eight after another good performance from the sixth row of the grid. Climbing into ninth place on lap one, a slip to 10th followed the next time around and Moore was shuffled back to 11th on the fourth tour before mounting a fightback. Taking 10th on lap seven, he moved into ninth on the very next tour and then grabbed eighth two laps from the end.

The Jersey driver rounded-off the Silverstone weekend with a seventh place finish in round 18, after a strong climb from 11th on the grid. Sensationally, a tremendous start enabled him to rocket into the top seven on lap one and then took sixth on lap two where he remained until two laps from the finish after being nudged back a spot.

Rahul Raj Mayer started race on in 17th position and worked his way up the order well to an eventual result of 13th place, just over a second shy of the top 12. In round 17, the Malaysian slipped from 13th to 17th on the opening lap before a good recovery resulted in a 14th place finish.

Mayer lined-up 15th on the grid for the final race of the weekend and remained there to lap three when he moved up a couple of positions. Although dropping back to 14th soon after and then 15th mid-race, he leapt back into 13th on the last lap after a problems for two rivals.